Any business operating out of premises has a duty of care to its employees when they are on site. One of the ways that businesses can seek to keep employees safe is by installing emergency lighting, providing automatic lighting in key areas when mains power fails.
Emergency light installation is useful in case of fire or power outage, used to light escape routes, as well as illuminating signs and other safety equipment.
Emergency lighting falls into five categories:
- Emergency escape lighting. This type of lighting illuminates the exits, making it easier for people to find in an emergency.
- Escape route lighting. These lights allow for quick and safe evacuation in case of fire.
- High risk task area lighting. These lights are installed to keep hazardous areas or processes lit under any circumstance, in the eventuality of mains power failure.
- Open area lighting. Keeping busy, open areas lit can help to avert panic in an emergency.
- Standby lighting. This allows for normal work to continue in case of mains power failure.
British Standards 5266-1:2016 offers some guidance for how emergency lights should be situated.
Under this code of practice, emergency lighting must be located:
- Along escape routes, including at each change in direction
- Adjacent to every step/trip hazard
- Near to any first aid points
- At the top of each stairwell
- To identify each final exit point
Under the guidance, it is also noted that the local Fire Authority must approve emergency lighting, and emergency lighting equipment must regularly be tested.
Gardant is able to secure this approval on your behalf, as well as providing regular emergency light testing to suit your schedule.
How It Works
- Our qualified team of engineers will inspect your premises and design/adapt your current emergency lighting system in compliance with BS 5266-1:2016
- We offer a wide range of emergency light fittings for all workplaces, allowing you to choose the options that best suit your requirements and budget. We will then install and demonstrate the final system for you and your team.
- Lighting options include:
- Maintained emergency lights. These work as a standard light fitting, controlled alongside your main lights. If the power fails, these will continue to work – at a lower lux level to indicate that emergency lighting is operational. Maintenance is required.
- Non-maintained emergency lights. These lights are off when the usual lighting is in use but if the power fails the lights will turn on via battery supply. These do not require maintenance but should regularly be tested to ensure that they are charging correctly.
- Combined emergency lights. These are, as the name suggests, a combination of both maintained and non-maintained lights.
- Satellite emergency lights. These lights are available for both maintained and non-maintained systems, but take their power supply from a self-contained source.
According to regulations, emergency lighting systems must be checked and tested by a qualified engineer.
- We supply regular maintenance checks, conducted manually by a skilled engineer able to simulate mains power failure safely and then check the entire lighting circuit to ensure that all lights are operating correctly.
- Once mains power is restored, the engineer will perform another thorough check of the entire system to make sure that each light is charging properly and ready for use.
- At the end of the maintenance check, you will be provided with a full report listing what we’ve found, and the action we’ve taken to secure your premises.
Call 0345 5480184 or email email@example.com to schedule an emergency lighting system consultation today!
Absolute delight to talk to Easy to follow and we'll managed would highly recommend services
I cannot fault this company one bit, they advised, supported and helped with every aspect of my holiday park. the security was fantastic and was obvious they took their time picking their own staff
Probably one of the most professional companies I have used, everything was pain free from start to finish. All their staff turn up to work looking smart and presentable.
Can’t fault the service provided! Very quick response and very reasonably priced for the service! Would definitely recommend and use this company again 🙂
We have been working alongside Gardant Security Ltd for now for six months plus, I have received nothing but a first-class Door Supervision service, working together to provide a safe environment. From risk assessments to training, the Gardant team are always trying to improve so they can achieve a great customer experience. We have a great relationship that I hope we can continue moving forward, thank you.
North Devon Office: Gardant Security Ltd, CA Building, The Strand, Barnstaple EX31 1EU
South Devon Office: Gardant Security Ltd, Ensign House, Parkway Court , Longbridge Road, Plymouth, PL6 8LR
Monday-Friday: 8am - 5pm
Get in touch for a free, no obligation, security consultation.1